Written by Kim Fleming DVM
Almost everyone along the Gulf Coast has a palm tree in their yard, and most are completely safe. Our hospital wants to educate our clients about the potential danger of the Sago Palm (which is actually an ornamental plant, not a true palm tree). All parts of the Sago Palm are very toxic to dogs if ingested. It most commonly causes liver disease. If your dog chews on or eats any part of this plant, seek immediate veterinary care. Please be aware if you do any trimming of the plant that you dispose completely of all parts. If the plant produces seeds, remove and dispose of them. We do not want to scare you unnecessarily, but we do want you to be informed.
Below is a link that will give you more information.